more aluminum produced per cell
of capital cost savings
Project of the Year Award 2014
- This greenfield plant wanted to demonstrate new proprietary AP60-smelting technology at an industrial scale.
- The smelter was to produce 40% more aluminum per cell than the previous generation of AP technology.
- In the Phase 1 pilot, 38 pots were expected to produce approximately 60,000 tonnes of aluminum per annum.
- Extensive scope and cost optimization was required to increase savings.
- We provided project management, lean engineering, procurement, construction management, pre-commissioning, and commissioning services.
- Project team was highly integrated with the Rio Tinto organization, aligned to objectives and committed to delivery.
- Amid a global financial crisis, we minimized project costs without impacting net present value.
- An exhaustive value-improvement exercise saved about $288 million in capital expenditures without compromising performance.
- Recognized by the Project Management Institute with the International Project of the Year Award in 2014, and the Project of the Year Award—Montréal in 2013
- Received Award of Excellence in Steel Construction 2013, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction
- Received commendation for exceptional leadership in health, safety, and environment
- Project was completed within budget, a month ahead of schedule, and set a new industry standard for safety, with a lost-time injuries rate of 0.27 for 5 million hours (99% better than typical Québec construction industry performance).
Project numbersC$3.6 billion phases 1, 2 & 3 estimated total cost
23 months construction period from notice to proceed
0.27 LTI's for 5 million hours
1 month ahead of schedule within budget
C$1.3 billion investment delivered on budget
Cómo podemos ayudarlo
Si tiene un problema que necesita ser resuelto, póngase en contacto con nosotros.
Servicios de respaldo de ingeniería para el programa de desarrollo de tecnología Xe-100
Mina Tenke Fungurume
República Democrática del Congo