Health & Safety
We are committed to providing a healthy and safe workplace environment. Our Health & Safety policy forms the basis for the development and application of safety systems, behaviors, and standards, both within Hatch and at the projects we manage. These help safeguard employees, clients, contractors, visitors, and the communities in which we work.
A strong safety leadership is one of the pillars of any effective safety culture. Our corporate leadership—through to our project management teams—supports, engages, and challenges our colleagues and partners alike to improve safety performance in all their activities.
We train and empower our employees to be safety leaders. We are proud of their safety leadership in the office, on projects, and in their neighborhoods. To us, considering health and safety in everything we do isn't just a work requirement; it's a way of life.
For our partners, we offer internally-developed health-and-safety learning opportunities. Our Working Together Safely program has participants complete 10 safety modules with the guidance of a coach. Practical activities and a health-and-safety workshop further reinforce important messaging. Our construction-safety leadership program gives leaders in the project and construction environment a clear understanding of how to engage with and manage the safety performance of our contractors on any project site.
With our project work, we constantly challenge ourselves to find a better, safer way to get the job done. And we do. We’ve managed some of the world's most difficult projects in some of its most unforgiving locations, never compromising safety in construction, and always insisting on the best safety-design principles in all our engineering activities.
- Workplace Health and Safety Award | Yellowknife Chamber of Commerce | Recognition of an organization that has shown leadership through its commitment to improving its health and safety management practices or implemented a new, unique idea to create a safer, healthier work environment | Gahcho Kué Mine Project | Canada | 2016
- Mining & Metals Project Development Safety Award | Hatch-Canadian Institute of Mining | Project recognition of safe execution of a significant Canadian project by a project owner or project team who is an active CIM member | Cameco - McArthur River Electrical Substation Project and, Glencore - Process Gas Project, Falconbridge | Canada | 2016
- Health and Safety Award | Finalist Asociación Chilena de Seguridad (ACHS) | Recognition for exceptional safety leadership and health and safety management systems | Chile | 2015
- Canada’s Safest Employer Award – Gold | Canadian Occupational Safety | In recognition of outstanding accomplishments in health and safety | Canada | 2015
- Designer with the Best Commitment to Occupational Health and Safety Award, KZN Master Builders Association | Umgeni Road Interchange | South Africa | 2014
- 2013 Kinross Safety Award | Kinross Gold Corporation | Tasiast Expansion Project | Mauritania | 2014