more aluminum produced per cell
of capital cost savings
Project of the Year Award 2014
- This greenfield plant wanted to demonstrate new proprietary AP60-smelting technology at an industrial scale.
- The smelter was to produce 40% more aluminum per cell than the previous generation of AP technology.
- In the Phase 1 pilot, 38 pots were expected to produce approximately 60,000 tonnes of aluminum per annum.
- Extensive scope and cost optimization was required to increase savings.
- We provided project management, lean engineering, procurement, construction management, pre-commissioning, and commissioning services.
- Project team was highly integrated with the Rio Tinto organization, aligned to objectives and committed to delivery.
- Amid a global financial crisis, we minimized project costs without impacting net present value.
- An exhaustive value-improvement exercise saved about $288 million in capital expenditures without compromising performance.
- Recognized by the Project Management Institute with the International Project of the Year Award in 2014, and the Project of the Year Award—Montréal in 2013
- Received Award of Excellence in Steel Construction 2013, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction
- Received commendation for exceptional leadership in health, safety, and environment
- Project was completed within budget, a month ahead of schedule, and set a new industry standard for safety, with a lost-time injuries rate of 0.27 for 5 million hours (99% better than typical Québec construction industry performance).
“Project management—it’s all about how good you are at detailing a plan, presenting a plan, executing the plan, and delivering the result. And that’s what the team did so well. They were the best.”
Project numbersC$3.6 billion phases 1, 2 & 3 estimated total cost
23 months construction period from notice to proceed
0.27 LTI's for 5 million hours
1 month ahead of schedule within budget
C$1.3 billion investment delivered on budget
What's your challenge?
British Columbia, Canada
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates (UAE)