Climate Change and Sustainability
Statement on Climate Change
Hatch is committed to designing and building practical solutions that reduce the presence of greenhouse gases (GHG) in our atmosphere and adapt our built and natural environments to unavoidable climate change-related impacts. This commitment encompasses the following strategies: avoiding carbon combustion; reducing and efficiently using carbon; removing carbonaceous gases from our atmosphere; and improving society’s resilience to earth’s changing climate. We operate our business and carry out engagements for our clients with methodologies, tools, and teams that enable us to achieve these strategies with the goal of continuous improvement.
Hatch accepts the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)’s scientific findings that climate warming is unequivocal and caused by human activities. Hatch is an active participant in the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals and incorporates the Global Compact’s Ten Principles into the way we work and do business.
We believe immediate and sustained actions are required to significantly reduce GHG emissions and limit temperature increase to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and targeting the limit to 1.5°C above pre-industrial level. We believe that the achievement of this goal will inevitably result in a prolonged and difficult phase of transition for industries, communities, and environments. Accomplishing this goal is a global challenge that requires our people to combine innovative engineering with business knowledge to create transformative change across all sectors of the economy.
As a result, we are active in targeted, action-oriented, multi-sector collaborative initiatives that address specific-technical, environmental, social, and financial issues. We apply a precautionary approach to the climate change challenges we and our clients face by integrating scientific-technical evaluation and socioeconomic analysis into our projects from conceptual development, through design and construction, to commissioning and operation.
Hatch seeks to actively engage in projects and initiatives to address climate change in the following ways:
- Developing innovative technologies for non-carbon-based energy production, delivery, and storage, including the development of hydro, nuclear, wind, solar, and hybrid sources
- Improving industrial processes, especially through the efficient and optimized use of carbon-based feedstocks
- Developing technologies that ensure greener extraction and supply of materials that enable a carbon-reduced economy, such as copper, lithium, cobalt, and nickel
- Investing in both point-source (PSC) and direct-air (DAC) capture technologies that also use storage and sequestration solutions
- Designing resilient and clean infrastructure and urban development through improved and more sustainable transit, sustainable urban planning with increased use of green infrastructure, and the preservation of natural habitats and ecological systems
- Promoting engagement strategies for clear, consistent, and sustained policy signals to enable businesses to develop stable and long-term emission reduction programs in a level playing field.
We regularly review our corporate strategy and the way we work to incorporate new information as it becomes available to ensure ongoing and appropriate identification, assessment and mitigation of climate-related risks associated with client projects and the operation of our business.
Hatch’s Manifesto defines our unwavering vision for our organization in one concise statement: We are passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change.
Delivering positive change for the clients and communities we serve requires safe, innovative, and practical solutions that are sustainable for the long term.
We define sustainability as the optimization of environmental protection, economic prosperity, social justice, and cultural vibrancy to ensure that businesses, ecosystems, and communities thrive, now and in the future.
This sustainability policy provides the basis for delivering sustainable solutions, and a framework for setting and reviewing sustainability objectives and targets in our work.
- We protect the environment and prevent pollution while operating facilities in a sustainable manner.
- We fulfill all of Hatch’s compliance obligations.
- We ensure the continual improvement of our environmental management systems to enhance performance.
- We seek innovative solutions that deliver sustainable results for our clients and communities.
- We encourage our suppliers to adopt sustainable practices.
- Optimize environmental, social, economic, and cultural performance in all aspects of our business.
- Plan, design, and implement projects that focus on creating sustainable value for our clients and their communities.
- Follow the Hatch Project LifeCycle Process, incorporating sustainability principles in all aspects of our services.
- Operate our own facilities in a safe, environmentally, and socially responsible manner while managing our footprint.
- Develop, employ, and disseminate innovative technologies and methods that integrate sustainability into our business and our clients’ facilities.
- Contribute to the communities in which we live and work through initiatives such as volunteering and charitable giving, with a particular focus on educational scholarships.
- Provide employees with the training, opportunity, and encouragement to integrate sustainability as part of their work.
- Establish goals, objectives, and key performance indicators to measure progress towards sustainability.
- Regularly review our projects and business sustainability initiatives to capture insights and promote continual improvement.
- Communicate our achievements annually.
Responsibility and accountability
Responsibility and accountability for sustainability begins with the CEO and senior leaders, but our success depends on every employee integrating sustainability principles into their daily activities.
Sustainability Policy [PDF]