of EV-grade lithium carbonate (99.9%)
global producer of lithium carbonate
worked with 0 LTIs
- Galaxy the fourth largest global producer of lithium carbonate, needed state-of-the-art technology and an experienced partner to help meet the aggressive schedule it had set.
- The team had to be able to adapt quickly and effectively to changes resulting from market intelligence or laboratory test work.
- While small by many standards, this greenfield development plant needed to produce a product of near-pharmaceutical grade, beginning with a mineral concentrate and using a continuous, integrated pyrometallurgical and hydrometallurgical process.
- With a spodumene concentrator in Australia and now the Jiangsu lithium carbonate plant in China, we helped Galaxy transition from exploration company to operating entity. We provided full EPCM services, commissioning support, and were a trusted advisor and engineer for the Jiangsu project.
- The most appropriate technology was developed and engineered, allowing the plant the greatest degree of flexibility to meet customer quality demands. The high level of automation we helped Galaxy implement was new to the industry in China, and allowed a large reduction in workforce size.
- To help Galaxy ramp up quickly, we provided operational readiness support for the plant and assisted the team in commissioning planning and implementation.
- Galaxy entered the market as the world's fourth-largest producer of lithium carbonate, and the largest one in China.
- We brought the basic design for some key, long-lead equipment items, like the kiln, coolers, and dryer in-house, and went from prefeasibility study to a constructed, greenfield-site plant in less than 36 months.
- By choosing robust equipment and reputable international vendors, we minimized the risks associated with procuring critical items. Equipment was installed faster, and a more productive plant was launched with better quality equipment and, consequently, lower maintenance costs.
- The plant was subsequently sold to Sichuan Tianqi Lithium, China’s largest lithium chemicals producer, for an 80% premium on construction costs.
“Hatch was able to successfully adapt to whatever was required of the team and was able to deliver a very successful project amid some challenging conditions.”