109 local people employed over the contract.
R 5,2 million spent on local wages and local contractors.
295 000 m3.
12 000 m3.
- The Xhora Off-Channel Storage Dam provides assurance of supply to the Xhora Water Supply Scheme which is intended to provide potable water to 70 000 people.
- Environmental impacts on the surrounding rivers and streams were to be minimised.
- A shortage of suitable embankment materials required innovative solutions.
- The water in the dam is expensive as it was pumped so minimum leakage was required.
- The Xhora Off-Channel Storage Dam provided the required assurance of supply with the minimum impact on the environment.
- The in stream flow requirements of both the stream below the off-channel storage dam and the Xhora River required care in the design of the raw water abstraction to provide for the maintenance of the low flows.
- Maximum use was made of the materials from the basin, which required a project specific density test method to be developed.
- To reduce leakage a low permeability grout curtain was required, which required an innovative approach.
- The Xhora Off-Channel Storage Dam now provides the assurance of water supply to 70 000 people who have never previously had potable water.
- This solution was able to minimize the environmental impacts of a new dam.
- To ensure a low permeability foundation, grouting of the shales and mudstones below the core to 2 lugeon reduced the dam leakage.
- A novel grouting approach was utilized to increase the grouting pressure.
Project numbersR 112 million, excl VAT - Capital value of the project.
25m long ogee side channel located on the right flank with a 5m wide trapezoidal spillway chute, widening to 9.5m before entering the stilling basin.
A zoned earth fill embankment dam with a 29.4 high crest, 230 m long.
Earthworks volume – 295 000 m3.
Concrete volume 12 000 m3.
Total length of grouting 3 500 m.
How we can help you
If you have a problem that needs to be solved, please get in touch.
Water sampling at depth with drones
Burnhamthorpe Water Project
Al Taweelah Alumina power and steam integration
United Arab Emirates
uMshwathi Regional Bulk Water Supply Scheme Phase 2
Water Outfall Project—MBR System
Eagle Point Mine
Ranger Brine Concentrator