Fulton Award Winner
of bridges and ramps
1 million hours
with no lost time incidents on two separate instances
The South African Institution of Civil Engineering
- Critical levels of traffic congestion were occurring at the interchange between the M19/uMgeni Road and the N2 highway in Durban.
- To provide the necessary capacity, the interchange was upgraded to a multi-level systems interchange.
- Area where the interchange is located is on riverside terrain, which posed topographical constraints for the design.
- Various accesses and local streets required realignment to accommodate the upgraded interchanges.
- We performed a detailed traffic analysis and 3D site modeling to design a free-flow interchange that would meet forecasted traffic conditions.
- We were then tasked with carrying out the detailed design of all necessary service relocations, roadworks, and structures.
- Determined the most cost-effective bridge solution for each structure with structural types, including staged cast in-situ box girders, incrementally launched box girders and precast beam and slab bridges.
- Hatch received an award from the Master Builders Association for the Designer with the Best Commitment to Occupational Health and Safety.
- The new interchange will operate at a vastly improved service level providing a positive impact on the thousands of commuters who pass through daily.
What's your challenge?
Three Chain Road project
Tugela River Pedestrian Bridge
Sandton Rea Vaya Bus Rapid Transit Bridge
Port Mann/Highway 1
Highway 404 Extension