98 million trips since 2010
R5 billion to Gauteng’s GDP during construction and R12.44 billion during operations
175,000 direct construction jobs and 68,000 new direct operations jobs created
43 minutes per trip saved during peak hours
- Increasing levels of travel and tourism in the Gauteng province have influenced the need for construction on the Gautrain light rail infrastructure system, connecting Johannesburg, Pretoria, and the O.R. Tambo International Airport.
- Understanding and maximizing the economic impacts and social benefits that the light rail system has, and will deliver, is becoming a critical factor in influencing the need for investment, expansion, and construction of the system so that the Gauteng province remains globally competitive.
- Hatch partnered with the Gautrain Management Agency (GMA) to understand the impact of the project by combining the economic insights, transportation planning skills, and deep understanding of local issues.
- The study demonstrated the full range of economic and social benefits that Gautrain provides and can continue to deliver with further investment.
- Our analysis provided fresh insight that addressed employment, property development, time savings, reducing inequality, emission savings, attracting foreign inward investment, current and future economic returns on investment, and annual contribution to regional GDP to successfully make the case for integrating this wider transport system across the Gauteng region.
- The study demonstrates how this world-class rapid transit system has positively transformed a city region that is home to 14 million people.
- The study validated the original motivation for the Gautrain, while demonstrating and communicating the impact in a way that resonated with multiple stakeholders.
- R5 billion to Gauteng GDP during construction and R12.44 billion during operations
- 175,000 direct construction jobs and 68,000 new direct operations jobs over twenty years
- 70% of trips cross a city boundary
- Spurred increase of more than 1.6 million square meters of commercial floor space
- 45% increase in median sales value per square meter of office space around stations
- 32% increase in median sales values per square meter of retail space around stations
- 52% increase in median sales values per square meter of residential space around stations
Brazil & Colombia
York, Ontario, Canada