peak capacity UV disinfection
37 m diameter
anaerobic digester; chemical storage and feed facility
- Conservation efforts have recently been made to clean Lake Ontario, the 14th largest lake in the world, as pollution has largely destroyed its commercial fishing industry.
- Meet demand and continue protecting Lake Ontario's water by increasing the Mid-Halton Wastewater Treatment Plant's capacity from 75 million liters per day (mld) to 125 mld.
- Upgrade the plant’s headworks and install a new outfall pipeline, giving utmost consideration to crossing the environmentally sensitive 14 Mile Creek when planning the most direct route.
- Protect the creek habitat for two owl species and Redside Dace fish, a government-designated endangered species requiring pools and slow-flowing streams with overhanging grasses and shrubs.
- Provide primary design consultation services for the Mid-Halton Wastewater Treatment Plant phase IV and V, including expansion and extensive upgrades to the headworks and outfall.
- Design the headworks in 3D to give all stakeholders a clear view of the plan as it progressed.
- Design a new outfall pipeline to run 1.3 miles onshore and another 2.7 miles offshore to an 85-to-98-foot underwater diffuser field in the final 300 feet.
- Run the pipeline through bedrock, beneath a major highway and across the environmentally-sensitive area, drawing on our invaluable expertise in tunneling technology and computer modeling.
- Final plan selection and outfall alignment required significant coordination with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and the local conservation authority.
- Ably demonstrated that our design and proposed construction methods would allow an alignment that crossed 14 Mile Creek while protecting the specialized habitat of the Redside Dace.
- Ensured the area's needs are met for the foreseeable future, and Lake Ontario's water and the environment around the town of Oakville are protected.
Project numbersC$140 million in construction costs for wastewater treatment plant
C$90 million in construction cost for the outfall tunnel
What's your challenge?
Eagle Point Mine
Ranger Brine Concentrator
MSP Tailings Treatment Plant
Highway 404 Extension