in ridership since opening day
Estimated 7,300 vehicles
removed from daily commute to Downtown Calgary
Estimated 3,250 tonnes
in reduced CO2 emissions
- In the decade before 2006, Calgary’s population grew by 25%, topping one million. Ridership on the C-Train grew by twice that rate in the same period. By 2009, more than a billion riders had taken the C-Train, which was carrying over 269,600 passengers per day, more than any other light rail system in North America.
- The West LRT was procured as the city’s first LRT design-build project, and features the full suite of transit system components over eight kilometres of double-track alignment.
- We assisted the City with management of the entire project
- The mandate included: working closely with the City in the pre-design stages; developing alternative alignments; participating in public consultations and briefings; and developing a contracting strategy, risk management plan, project schedule, and associated cost estimates
- Hatch also executed the complete redevelopment of the City’s LRT Design Guideline Manual and system-wide traction power modernization strategy. During the procure stages we developed the request for qualifications , request for proposals, the design-build reference concept, and detailed technical schedules.
- Our team also extended its expertise during the procurement and project execution phases by providing construction quality management and project control services.
- The largest capital infrastructure project in Calgary's history, and was completed within a five-year period, from funding approval to revenue service
- There was an extensive public consultation process involved 115 public meetings with over 3,000 people in attendance
- The West LRT marked a number of “firsts” for the CTrain system: the first design-build project carried out by the City using an integrated project team of City of Calgary and Hatch personnel; the first LRT project in Calgary to feature an elevated guideway and station; and the first underground CTrain LRT station
- The West LRT was the recipient of major project awards: Consulting Engineers of Alberta Awards of Excellence; Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) Project Achievement Award; Association of Consulting Engineering Companies Canadian Consulting Engineering Award of Excellence; American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of New Jersey Honour Award; and the ACEC Engineering Excellence National Recognition Award
- An estimated 7,300 vehicles no longer access downtown Calgary on a daily basis, reducing CO2 emissions by an estimated 3,250 tonnes on an annual basis
“Delivering this project within 60 months is pretty phenomenal”
What's your challenge?
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
San Francisco, CA, USA
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Austin, TX, USA
Washington, DC, USA
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oakland, CA, USA
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Denton County, Texas, USA