wind turbine operating at up to -40C
600 kW and up to
of energy storage
2.4 million litres
per year of diesel saved
- Reduce energy costs, reliance on diesel fuel, and greenhouse gas emissions on a remote mining project.
- Integrate wind power into the mine's energy mix in such a way that grid power quality and stability is maintained.
- Overcome Arctic conditions and severe wind power variability.
- Prove energy storage technology suitable for Arctic condition and high wind power penetration.
- Introduced utility-scale wind turbine with energy storage integrated with diesel generators at the mine.
- Project evaluates three technologies: flywheel, lithium-ion battery, and electrolyser with fuel cell and hydrogen tanks.
- Designed and implemented the Hatch Microgrid (HμGrid), which monitors demand for wind power and supply variations, and economically dispatches the charger and discharge from energy storage units to smooth out wind power variations and displace diesel generation.
- First-of-its-kind project.
- Engineering and construction was fast-tracked to be completed within the short Arctic summer construction window; the project was completed within budget.
- Successfully worked with the power plant operators who operate both gensets and wind power in order to maintain the grid stability.
- 18,000 site hours with zero lost-time injuries.
What's your challenge?
NYPA Day Ahead Scheduling for St. Lawrence Power Project
Oxec II Hydroelectric Project
Rainy River Solar