Pressure leaching and oxidation
SME Mineral Processing & Extractive Metallurgy Handbook, Chapter 10.6 February 1 2019
Pressure leaching and pressure oxidation are hydrometallurgical processes applied to the extraction of many metals.The processes occur above atmospheric boiling temperature, require a sealed reactor vessel, and often operate in highly corrosive and oxidizing environments. Pressure leaching and pressure oxidation have been applied to a broad range of processes over a wide range of conditions and include similar features such as
- Slurry feed: Chemical conditioning, preheat, and highpressure pumps;
- Reactor vessel: Digester and leach or oxidation autoclave;
- Pressure letdown: Flash vessel;
- Off-gas handling: Atmospheric condenser and scrubber;
- Ancillary systems: Acid, oxygen, air, steam, and water injection systems, and an agitator seal system.