Beca-Hatch Partnership recognized at 2023 Melbourne Airport Excellence Awards
Our combined team was awarded under the ‘Excellence in Environment, Social & Governance’ category for the incredible outcomes achieved on the Melbourne Airport Runway Overlay Project since October 2021.
Designed to improve the serviceability of Melbourne Airport’s main north-south runway by completing an asphalt overlay and associated improvements to airfield ground lighting, the judging panel was particularly impressed by the collaborative efforts of key project participants from Hatch, Beca, GHD and Fulton Hogan in achieving positive environmental and social outcomes, whilst undertaking these crucial maintenance works. Some of the positive outcomes we made a reality include:
- The first Melbourne Airport project to track carbon emissions through the design process, achieving a significant reduction in Scope 3 emissions from the base case. This was thanks to the use of LED and Solar lighting and recycling of construction waste.
- The first Melbourne Airport airfield project to have a large female participation in the design and delivery space (18 females in total).
- Employing Oakleigh Centre Connections Enterprises (OCCE), a Social Enterprise focusing on finding meaningful employment for people with disabilities.
- Employing Djuwara, an Indigenous – owned company, to manage all chemical, construction and office waste, and support social procurement.
- Managing the project within PFAS Framework, using the successful Gate 11 facility.
In commenting on this incredible achievement, Hatch’s project director, Joseph Walsh, said, “Planning for this project commenced in January 2021 working through the key gates of the Melbourne Airport Project Process, which involved extensive internal and external stakeholder engagement. This engagement underpins the project’s success to date, including this prestigious award.”
About the Melbourne Airport Excellence Awards
The Melbourne Airport Excellence Awards honor and reward anyone who contributes excellence to the airport, delivering on the vision to become ‘Australia’s favorite airport destination’.
The awards are open to individuals, organizations, contractors, suppliers, partners, and volunteers.
The Excellence in Environment, Social & Governance award recognizes the commitment provided by organizations to Melbourne Airport’s performance as a steward of the environment, contributing to the enhancement of the airport’s reputation in the local community and as a sustainable business.