684-acre, privately owned site
Transforming to become “a city within a city”
Future urban heart of Northwest Toronto
6 million visitors per year, expected to double when complete
- Woodbine will continue to be the ultimate destination for horse racing and gaming.
- New, expanded entertainment, services, facilities, and cultural offerings will be integrated: food and dining, hotel, shopping, office space, post-secondary education, recreation, health, wellness, and urban residential living.
- Strong transit connections between Woodbine, the city of Toronto, and the broader urban region are critical to realizing this vision.
- Hatch provided Woodbine Entertainment Group (WEG) with strategic advice to build the initial business case for bringing higher-order transit to its site.
- Transit included light-rail extension, alignment analysis and optioning, and early conceptual work related to a regional GO rail station and transit hub.
- An evaluation of possible higher-order transit options was needed, including an options analysis for integration with other transit and mobility systems.
- Initial work focused on preparing WEG for the anticipated onboarding of a gaming partner in late 2017.
- Communication with key government and other local stakeholders was paramount.
- An analysis of the value of various transit connections to the site was carried out and discussions with various government agencies and other stakeholders, including Pearson Airport, was supported.
- A phasing strategy that aimed at optimizing density, value per square foot, and the number of jobs within site and surrounding area was developed.
- A transit integration plan was delivered that sought to maximize the development potential and city-building potential of the Woodbine site.
- An initial business case and advice on advancement strategy was created for the light rail extension.
- Significant mixed-use development was contemplated at the site; integration with regional transit hub conceptualized.
How we can help you
If you have a problem that needs to be solved, please get in touch.
The socioeconomic impact of the Gautrain study
Sound Transit Advisory
TraPac Terminal Automation Support
Burnhamthorpe Water Project