circular FeNi furnace power density in the industry
of furnace components delivered 8 weeks early
Permits dual-mode electrode operation
- Design a 90 MW, 18-metre-diameter, 3-electrode ferronickel furnace in the same footprint as a previous 45 MW design.
- The electrode is required to operate in both immersed and shielded-arc modes to support a phased project approach.
- Supply furnace components, including steel, refractory, copper coolers, low-voltage bus, and electrode seals to meet Solway’s very aggressive project schedule.
- The furnace crucible design incorporated a novel binding system and enhanced sidewall cooling to maximize campaign life.
- An integrated engineering and procurement team allowed the quick placement of equipment orders and resolution of quality and scheduling issues during fabrication.
- Involvement and support from Hatch’s integrated team started from the initial design concept and continued until the first metal tap.
- We continue to actively support furnace operations to help Solway achieve the furnace’s nameplate capacity.
- At nameplate capacity, the furnace will operate at the highest hearth-power density for a 3-electrode, circular-ferronickel furnace in the industry, while maintaining the same level of safety, performance, and campaign life as existing operations with lower power densities.
- Early delivery of furnace equipment added flexibility to Solway's construction schedule.
- On-site assistance by Hatch specialists during construction and start-up allowed prompt and immediate resolution to issues, including accommodating several unplanned delays during furnace start-up.
“Considering the positive experience of our companies’ cooperation in two electric furnace projects and good partnership, we are looking forward to further fruitful cooperation.”
“We have seen time and time again that Hatch-designed-and-supplied equipment operates properly at our plant without failure. With Hatch you get what you pay.”
What's your challenge?
Thabazimbi, South Africa
United Arab Emirates (UAE)